Friday, August 5, 2011

Canon Sure Shot Zoom XL

I have to admit, I've always had a fondness for quirky consumer grade cameras.  After us kids were born my mother bought a Canon Sure Shot AF35M II to replace her aging Kodak Instamatic.  That was my first experience with a 'nice' camera, and it kept working for a long time until my older brother borrowed it.  This is not a review of that camera; this is a review of a much nicer and more unusual camera, the Canon Sure Shot Zoom XL.





Introduced in 1989 this was a fairly expensive premium grade point and shoot.  It featured a 39-85mm f/3.6-7.3 S.C. coated lens composed of 9 elements in 8 groups that supposedly gave results as good as Canon's FD lenses.  I'm not sure how many steps the zoom mechanism has but it's pretty seemless, giving you fairly good control over focal length (although, honestly how much accuracy do you need when your viewfinder only has 84% coverage).  The viewfinder does, of course, zoom along with the lens as does the flash, which is neat.

It has a near infrared AF assist light that lets it focus comparatively quickly even in low light and on low contrast subjects.  Unfortunately the lens isn't faster, but the flash does have a slow sync option so I'm sure you could do some nice things with it.  The metering sensor is a three-zone variety and has a fairly wide working range.

It's possible to take pictures at 2 frames per second, but I assume the camera doesn't have any focus tracking ability to speak of; however, I suppose given enough light, depth of field would be deep enough that it wouldn't matter much.

The remote sitting in front of it in this picture actually stows away at the bottom of the camera.  It of course allows you to get in the picture or to take pictures from a tripod without touching the camera.  It also has an immediate release, a two second delay, and allows you to set three different focal lengths on the zoom.

In it's day, the Zoom XL cost about the same as what an EOS 700 body cost without a lens, or a little more than half what it would have cost for body and a similarly spec'd lens.  It's not really a "compact" camera, but for someone not expecting to buy extra lenses and wanting a high grade camera that they didn't have to know a lot to use, the Sure Shot Zoom XL seems to have been a pretty good option.

Interestingly, I can't seem to find many of these here in the United States, aside from the one that some guy in West Slope is selling on Craigslist (thanks for the links, buddy).  This one came from the United Kingdom, and I actually also won another one on eBay (labeled the Prima F, the typical European name for it) that came from Denmark with an old roll of film still in it.

After shooting a roll of AGFA Vista 400 through the camera I can certainly say that I'm impressed with the lens on this camera.  It's not the sharpest zoom lens I've ever used, but it's certainly capable for being just a point and shoot.  I'd say between this camera and the sought-after Sure Shot AF35ML you loose the f/1.9 aperture of the ML but not the optical quality; you do, however, gain a wealth of flexibility with the zoom and flash modes and even the included remote.  It's also a bit quieter, but definitely somewhat bigger.  Both have their pluses, but the Zoom XL is a pretty solid camera for what it is.

Here's a few pictures that I've shot with it, just for kicks.





10 comments:

  1. I have just picked one of these up in the UK for £5. Put a battery in and all seems to work apart from the lens cover will not close fully when turned off. Need to see what happens when I put a film through it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lens covers often get stuck when either something sticky, like soda-pop, or something gritty, like dirt, or a combination of the two gets into the lens cover mechanism. You might try a little alcohol on a cue-tip worked around the edges to see if it frees up, but of course the important thing is just that thing opens up when you're actually shooting a picture.

    Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Well I ran a film through the XL and I have to say I was really pleased with the results. I shot some tricky lighting with low morning sun (even in the UK it happens occasionally!!) and there was no lens flare or anything nasty. The images were nice and sharp. I think it is a great camera for what it is and £5 well spent.
      Thanks for your review and images and for the reply above.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you're happy with it. I think generally the Zoom XL is one of the best of the Sure Shot line, and I haven't shot with one yet that had a better lens--not to say that the others don't return great pictures. I suppose I should also say that I've seen great things come out of the Classic 120, but that annoying pop-out-flash always sort of spoiled that camera for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy I came across this posting ... I've had one of these cameras socked away in a drawer for many years. Stopped using it ever since I got a digital Nikon CoolPix 995. I've since graduated to a Canon T2i, but was looking at this Zoom XL and wondering if I might like to work with it again. Especially now that I've taken a few classes and know a little bit more about photography! I think you've inspired me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember the Coolpix 995, that was one hell of a camera for its time; I also was rather fond of the Coolpix 800 that was based around the same sensor.

      Anyway, I'm glad to maybe have inspired you to pick up the Zoom XL again. I always find that if I take a bit of a break from shooting with my better cameras and spend some time with just simple point-and-shoots, that I feel much more inspired when I return to the nice stuff. It seems like the potential of better equipment sometimes clouds your ability to see the compelling images that are available in front of you everyday. I hope you have fun with it!

      Delete
  4. I was looking for my dad's old camera this afternoon to try out (he died 16 years ago) and I didn't have any idea what camera he had (I thought it may have been a Konica, but he must have replaced it). I found found the Canon Zoom XL Sure Shot upstairs in my mum's house. I am looking forward to trying it out as soon as I replace the battery and buy a 35mm film. The camera looks in perfect condition, hopefully it will work ok. I will post a few pics as soon as I have given it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to find his old Zoom XL. I've still got my mother's old Sure Shot even though it hasn't worked in years, and it's just nice to still have that connection to her and to the photos that were made with it during our childhood. I hope you have fun with it!

      Delete
  5. Luckily I'd got Sureshot Tele in my hand on July 2008(back then I was 2nd grade if high school) but I wish I had this instead, which could've been 1987 times bettee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Shot Teles are neat cameras too. I've handled one or two, but I've never run film through one.

      Delete